Keep in mind the following points if you are attending a part time MBA program:
- Maximize your learning – Learn ways to implement the classroom studies in your workplace. For e.g. if you are attending a marketing course, make sure that you speak to marketing folks in your company [even if they you hate them] and get their insights. Real value of a part time MBA lies in implementation and not the theoretical part.
- Network, network and network – Most of the part time courses are attended by executives and chances are that they will bring a very rich experience to the classroom. Use that experience of theirs’. Network with them as much as possible. Build relationships with these guys. They can provide you the springboard you have been looking for.
- Know what to expect – No matter where you do your part-time MBA from, know what to expect from the course. Few companies have clear policies to not treat part time MBAs on the same lines as full time, irrespective of the college/brand. Accept these realities and manage your own expectation by exploring opportunity with companies which have no issues with part time MBAs [typically mid/small sized].
- Network with the team – During the course of your MBA, network with the team that you want to get into. For e.g. if you want to shift to Marketing/Product Management, build relationship with those folks in your company. Remember that you don’t get a dream job or position just because you have completed your MBA. You need to convince your company that you have it in you and you can handle the new role very well.
- Make sure your work does not hamper – And while you are studying, make sure that you do your office assignments very well. If you perform well in your office despite of taking classes, you get a good referral from your boss and that will serve you to switch easily to your desired role. But if you are not a great performer, why would somebody take that risk by assigning you something which you have never done? Reputation plays a very big role in getting that desired position.
- Have Patience – Last, but not the least – have tonnes of patience. Part time MBA may not help you achieve instant nirvana, and you might need to struggle to achieve the desired role/responsibility but this is true for full time MBA or any other course as well. You need to wait any keep trying, without losing it.
Hopefully you will keep the above top of mind before you select Part Time MBA program.